Wednesday, December 3, 2008

An Introduction

OK, so after years of ignoring knitters and all things yarn-inspired, I have finally become obsessed with knitting. And, since knitting blogs are all the rage, I decided I'd start one to chronicle my trials and tribulations and put up pictures of my progress (what's a knitting blog without pictures??).

Of course, every knitting blog must have a catchy, yarn-related title/username. I first came up with Mallory Knits. Sigh... so many blogs start with [Name] Knits already. Hm... how about Mal-Knits? Nah, then it just implies bad knitting. Titles with my name are out. So, like the uncreative dork I am, I googled "words with nit." I'm sure you see where I'm going with this. Affinity, eternity, infinite, insanity, nitpicky, opportunity... then I saw sanguinity.
Sanguine (adj): (definition adapted from Merriam-Webster)
1: bloodred
2: consisting of or relating to blood; bloodthirsty
3: having blood as the predominating bodily humor; having the bodily conformation and temperament held characteristic of such predominance and marked by sturdiness, ruddy complexion, and cheerfulness
4: confident, optimistic, hopeful
san·guine·ly adverb
san·guine·ness noun
san·guin·i·ty noun
It's a word I remembered distinctly from a Firefly episode and definition #4 is a pretty accurate description of my attitude towards this new hobby. And thus, my knitting blog was born:

Sanguiknity
the hopeful adventures of a knitting novice

Perhaps it's too much story-telling about the blog title, but I thought it was interesting. Plus it may help to explain the definition to people who define sanguine as "bloody." Yes, knitting needles can be dangerous, but I really hope this definition does NOT describe my future knitting adventures.

Anyways, I guess we'll see how this goes.

[Note: Originally posted Nov 3, 2008 on my previous blog.]

No comments: