Monday, December 29, 2008

The Scrunchable Scarf and Something I Learned

So, here is the purple Scrunchable Scarf, all finished and ends weaved in.



Pattern: Scrunchable Scarf by Susan McConne (free)
Yarn: purple mystery yarn, bulky
Needles: US 10, bamboo
Size: CO 17 sts. It's a bit short (less than 4 feet long) because I bought less than a full skein.
Made For: my friend Jeanne

Remember how I complained about how the yarn (which I'm pretty sure is Lionbrand Homespun) was bunching up because the thicker parts kept getting pushed back? Well, I finally discovered that I didn't have that problem if I just held the yarn correctly. Yes, fellow knitters, I have been holding the working yarn between my right thumb and pointer instead of wrapping it around my fingers. I am ashamed after having read countless books and websites illustrating the correct way to hold the yarn and yet still holding the yarn the wrong way. Well, at least I learned.

So for now, I'm an English knitter, but am trying to learn Continental whenever I'm working on a simpler stitch and with a yarn that doesn't split so much. It's kinda awkward, but maybe I'll get the hang of it. It seems very useful when ribbing or double-knitting.

1 comment:

Crazy Lady with purple fingers said...

The yarn on your last post is so beautiful, you must be so excited....how can you sleep thinking about it...what are you going to make out of it? Or are you just going to admire it and pet it a lot? It happens you know....I have a lot of petted and admired yarn....and I mean a lot and this new year I am going to "try" to make something with it....I mean I really am....excuse me....I have some petting and admiring to do. I will keep checking to see what you make with your beautiful yarn!!