Friday, January 16, 2009

Cameras, Cast-Ons, and a Finished Object

Look at my new toy!


(I know, a terrible photo taken by my laptop camera. It's a Canon SD1100 IS. Here's the Apple Store website for it.)

It came in the mail a few days ago :) I gave my old camera to my brother. It was a good camera, but a bit heavy and slow for my taste. This one isn't lightning fast, but it's very slim. And pretty :)

And I finally finished the second wrist warmer. I used a Cable Cast-On for this one so I can't even get my hand into it.



Pattern: Women's Hand/Wrist Warmers by Joelle Hoverson (free)
Yarn: Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride Worsted in Orange Creamsicle
Needles: US 6, aluminum DPNs
Size: Small! But mostly because of my tight knitting. CO the recommended 32 sts and followed instructions for the most part, but did 12 rows after the thumb opening.
Made For: someone else (not sure who yet...)

Here's another thing I've learned in my knitting: So far, I have been using the Knitted Cast-On (another explanation here), which is the first method I learned. I recently figured out, from reading the instructions for River, that it's more of a lace cast-on method - I had previously noticed that the cast-on edge was quite loose after knitting from it, which is why I've recently been searching for a new "default" cast-on method. Additionally, I have just learned from this Knitty article that I have been Knitting On With A Twist; i.e., I have been transferring the new stitch as if to knit (with needles parallel), rather than as if to purl (with needles antiparallel). Transferring stitches the other way would make the cast-on edge tighter.

Anyways, I've read that a lot of knitters prefer the Long-Tail Cast-On, but I'm not really sure why. I've tried it, but it just seemed too complicated (especially since you have to estimate how much yarn you need) and I did not like how the yarn tail kept unraveling. It seems to me that there are other methods that are just as stretchy, strong, and neat. One other positive that I see though is that it seems like a very fast method.

So, I've found a new "default" cast-on: the Cable Cast-On, which I learned from the video on the Knitting Help website. Yes, it's a bit slow and hard to work, but it's neat and stretchy, but not flimsy.

I think maybe I'll just have to keep practicing more.

2 comments:

JuliaA said...

love canon cameras. they're so wonderful. i just got a new one recently as well--now only my photography skills are to blame for my pictures!

the long tail cast on is something that people love once they get used to it. once i learned it i forgot the other methods. i have no idea how to cast on otherwise, though i used to know. estimating the yarn amount you need is a PITA, but you learn to guess it pretty well, and it's so fast. i hate casting on, and i need fast.

i cast on really really tight sometimes, so i use a needle size up for CO at times when i'll need a stretchier cuff, just to make sure.

John said...

We would like to nominate you for a FreedomToBlog.com Best of Blog Entry.

Please visit our site at: http://www.freedomtoblog.com to submit your blog entry!

Benefits include:
1) Permanent Backlinks to your blog
2) Fully SEO optimized for maximum exposure
3) A chance to be published into a top 500 best of blog book"